It’s Spring! Great for the beautiful flowers and trees blooming – not so great for rainy day frizz.
Something I hear quite often during this time is, “Why bother doing my hair in the morning if the rain/humidity is going to mess it up anyway?”
And while some might be able to get away with it, for others this isn’t an option.
Luckily we have a fantastic network of professional hair gurus to help you make a rainy day work for you!
If you normally blow dry your hair:
• Always start by using a heat-protecting spray on your damp hair. This will not only protect your hair from the obvious heat damage of the blow drier but will also create a barrier to keep humidity out!
• In the case of keeping your blow dry smooth during humid or rainy days, you will want to blow dry your hair 100%! Bone. Dry. Trust us. Keep that hair cuticle closed and flat.
• Anticipate and plan ahead! If you know that it will rain tomorrow, why not blow-dry your hair tonight and sleep on a silk pillowcase? Treat yourself! Silk isn’t just for queens. This will keep your hair shaft sealed and smooth to insure that moisture doesn’t sneak it’s way in!
If you want to style your hair with or without blow-drying:
• Why not try some beautiful braids? You don’t have to have long hair to try some pretty braid styles. You can even add in some twists (which will keep hair tight and prevent poof). If you have long hair, a French braid or over-the-shoulder fishtail looks romantic.
• Another versatile and easy style is the bun. A topknot can look confident. A ballet bun, chic… or even a high ponytail. And a great way to achieve this high-shine “slicked back” ponytail or bun look is by using some MAY•11 hair oil to tame the hair and comb back with a fine-tooth comb. It’s a 2 in 1! No one will know that you are also nourishing your hair with a treatment oil, as it will look like a polished style.
If you still don’t have time or don’t want to bother with styling, just embrace it!
• Natural hair is IN. And no one knows you better than you. Getting caught in the rain can make hair look sexy and fuss-free.
• If you have curly, wavy or textured hair: We suggest adding a few drops of MAY•11 hair to add definition to your waves and curls before heading out as this will keep frizz at bay and your locks healthy.
• For the ladies with fine, straight hair- embrace the humidity. It’s your friend and will give you some texture and shape to what otherwise can be flat hair. Experiment with it and see what you like!
I hope you have fantastic rainy hair days! Until next time, sending you love and light and gorgeous hair.
~ Rachel Z.